News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

How big a difference is there between NGLA and Yale?
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2001, 07:52:00 PM »
TEPaul,

Remember, the original 9th green came way back into the fairway.

How would you feel about a cross bunker, similar to the one off the tee at # 3,
80-100 yards from the green ?

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2001, 08:14:00 AM »
I know the 9th green came way back into the fairway and was enormous. George Bahto mentioned that to me long ago although I can't at the moment remember all the particulars. I think it had something to do with a combined practice putting green.

How would I feel about a bunker (like #3) in that second fairway about 80-100yds from the green? I would feel very good about that architecturally, that's why I said what I did about that second fairway. I think something could be done better than using a bunker like the one on #3 80-100yds from the green though. Something on a 45 degree diagonal connecting the long right bunker to the short left bunker. That would be a diagonal (although something narrow would be best) that would probably run about 50yds (or whatever the down hole distance is between those two bunkers). Such a thing, even if quite narrow would create a great cape effect in that area and would be highly strategic!

Jim Reilly

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2001, 09:50:00 AM »
I made this same sacrilege on the 17th fairway of NGLA when I played it recently.  

I'm a huge fan of Yale, and I think one advantage that Yale has is that its charms are more readily apparent to the first time visitor than NGLA.  The expansiveness that everyone praises at NGLA doesn't give one the same thrill when they hit their drive as the less expansive, but still strategic, driving options at Yale.  At Yale, the strategies are finite (e.g. bite off as much of the pond or rough as you dare, etc.).  If you fail, your penalty is not subtle.  If you achieve your objective, you are rewarded with what Alister MacKenzie described as pleasurable excitement.  

Now at the NGLA, whether you take the preferred line or not, your chances of winding up on the fairway are pretty good.  It occurs to me that until you've played the NGLA a few times, you won't get that "pang" when you hit a fairway at NGLA, but are horribly out of position, like you do when you miss a fairway at Yale (you do get the pang, like I did when I took in my approach shot at the bottle hole and realized I had no chance of holding the green, but if I knew the course better, I would have known it before I reached my ball).

The difference I am expressing is the reason I think CB called Yale a "classic" course and NGLA an "ideal" course.  NGLA almost always provides a chance of recovery or alternative route to the hole.  In short, it provides more options.  

I hope I have the opportunity to explore a few more of them soon.

ed_getka

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2001, 08:58:00 PM »
Geoffrey,
I live out near SF in No.Calif. My parents are in upstate NY so I make a trip out east each year. Too bad about Bethpage tickets. Thats why I volunteer most years for the Open so I don't have to deal with the lottery. If you call about 1-1/2 years in advance to the host club about volunteering you are assured of being at the Open. You "work" 16 hours for the week and the rest of the time you have unlimited access to the tournament. The only hitch is paying for your uniform which is at cost ($125-150).
I look forward to meeting you next June. Herb Wind is such a great guy, I think you'll enjoy meeting him.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2001, 06:13:00 AM »
Jim Reilly,

I think you're right about the impressions of the first time visitor favoring Yale.

NGLA requires more study because it's vastly more intricate architectually.

THuckaby2

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2001, 06:19:00 AM »
While I do agree with Jim's assessment...

This also makes me feel much better about my own personal "architectural" growth.

To me, taking nothing away from Yale, the "charms" were more readily apparent at NGLA.

To steal from a great Dornoch member / San Jose resident, I guess I am turning from a gourmand to a gourmet, little by little...

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back