News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Taylor

South Jersey clubs...
« on: March 21, 2003, 02:46:18 PM »
My wife just dropped the bomb I've been dreading...she wants to move back to South Jersey by summer 2004. Wants to raise the kids near the extended family and all that. So Tim has to find a new job, a new house and all that crap. Tim also will have to resign his club membership in Virginia and find a place to play in South Jersey.

I lived in South Jersey for a few years and played a few clubs. My wife's grandparents were members at Tavistock and a neighbor was a member at Riverton CC. But mostly I played public courses back then (early-mid 1990s). South Jersey was pretty barren for public golf in those days.

Anyways, after we get settled in I'd like to find a new golf home. A decent course with a nice membership that doesn't cost a year's salary to join are the most important qualities for me. We'll be looking to live in the Moorestown, Cherry Hill area.

So what can anyone tell me about SJ clubs like Laurel Creek, The Links, Medford Village, Medford Lakes, Little Mill. Those are some I remember from when I lived there. Wait lists? Initiation fees? Dues? Sponsorship?

I hope this move doesn't mess up that 40th birthday trip to Pebble that was a topic a few weeks back.

Cheers,

TimT
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Scott_Burroughs

Re: South Jersey clubs...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2003, 03:03:15 PM »
Jamie Slonis should be able to help you, if he sees this.

He's knows two of the ones you listed very well.  Woodcrest is another, a Flynn/Toomey design that got part of the course rereouted/redesigned to put new roads in.

I think Medford Village is/was a Jewish club, but I think that may not be exclusely the case any more.  I think MV is a pretty tough course, too.

Running Deer is probably too far for you.

I lived in the area (West Deptford) from 92-94, but was a member of DuPont CC in Wilmington, DE.  Played a few public courses around there, Rancocas, Wedgwood, Valleybrook, the course formerly known as Eagle's Nest, Beckett.

New publics in that area include Pine Hill, Scotland Run, and The River (?) in Red Bank, a stone's throw from my old townhouse.

JSlonis

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2003, 05:16:44 PM »
Tim,

Drop me an email, I'll be happy to give you some info on the area clubs.  It would be easier through email or phone.

Jamie

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2003, 04:53:35 AM »
Tim,

You should strongly consider Hidden Creek. I don't know what proximity you'll have, but it is a fabulous facility, nearly new, nice membership/owner/head pro and certainly worth a look. Ask for Ian Dazell, the head pro and tell him you found this through GCA...he'll immediately make your intro a pleasure!

Steve
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2003, 08:45:21 AM »
TimT:

The "barren" nature of South Jersey golf has certainly changed since you left. As Scott B points out there is plenty of good CCFAD golf to consider -- I would say it's on par with just about all the private clubs with the exception of the best ones such as PV, Galloway National, ACCC, Hidden Creek, etc, etc.

I would certainly check out seeing if any of the CCFAD presents a "membership" package for the season -- good ones to look at include Scotland Run. I know many of the clubs are being keenly aware of the fact that the economy is not hopping like it was a few years ago so you may make out better in that direction than getting tied up into a private club. However, I will say this -- the private club scene in South Jersey is not as tied up in pomp and circumstance as you will likely find in North Jersey.

If I can assist further you can reach me through a publication I edit. Send inquiries to jerseygolfer@aol.com

Welcome back to the Garden State ... ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back