GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Review of Feinstein's new book, "Open"

<< < (7/8) > >>

Dan Kelly:

--- Quote ---As someone who attended neither Duke nor UNC , I would say that Smith got treated fairly in the book.  I went to the University of Virginia, and therefore hated both schools.

--- End quote ---

Exactly what Thomas Jefferson had in mind, I'm sure!  8)

Scott Seward:
To me, there is a difference in a typo and something that is factually wrong. A typo is annoying in a magazine but tolerable given tight production schedules. A typo in a $25 book is not acceptable.

Also, when you read something that you know to be false but said in an authoratative manner that Feinstein conveys (i.e. Tim Moraghan's wife is Karen not Nancy), this casts a negative light on anything else you read that you might not know.

Finally, while this book goes into a subject I find fascinating, Feinstein's choppy writing style gets very trite. There are way too many sentences that begin with conjunctions, and far too many paranthetical statements to show the reader how much Feinstein knows. In "The Majors", my favorite example of this is when he told us in paranthesis that the Stimpmeter was invented by a man names Stimp. Unnecessary and wrong.

Steve Lang:
:o

I appreciate seeing reviews such as Brad Kein's, I won't pay for the book, but maybe I'll read it for free some day and certainly not dwell in it..  Having not seen Feinstein's face ever, then seeing him on countless times before and during this year's Open makes me think its all Marketing.. get a product to sale at the right time, in front of the popular undiscerning media needing lead-ins and talking heads etc.. and voila, exposure pushes sales!

maybe the things exposed will be corrected in the second printing

JohnV:
I agree that the book should be more factually accurate, but I did find it an enjoyable read.  That is probably because I know quite a few people that are key players for the USGA.

Just as there are two types of novels, literature and summer reading, there are two types of non-fiction, real studies of issues and history and quick hits that entertain.  Feinstein's books seem to be of the later type.  They should be factually accurate though because someone else might use them as a source for a real history in the future and it would be nice if the mistakes didn't get perpetuated.

Whenever I hear Feinstein on NPR's Morning Edition talking about golf, I do get the feeling that he really doesn't get it, but he can tell an interesting story.   Just don't assume that it is all true.

A.G._Crockett:
Intermurph
I am a UNC graduate.  I'm also a Duke graduate, for what that's worth, as is my sister.  I also have the advantage of knowing Coach Smith.  It also happens that my father, a U.Va. alum and former sports editor of the Durham paper, is friends with Coach Smith.  I assure you (and My-Dad-From- The University who is no fan of UNC wholeheartedly agrees) that Feinstein used that book as a pulpit to trash, relatively speaking, Coach Smith.  You're welcome to disagree.

By chance, did you see Rick Reilly's recent column about Smith in SI?  Reilly isn't a UNC grad, and seems to have a reasonably high opinion of the man.  

My only point here is that Feinstein has in the past used really strong "literary license" and seems willing to play awfully fast and loose with facts.  It robs me of interest in reading his work because I don't know what I'm reading.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version